Calling all students, in all grade levels! Show us your artistic creativity!
Entries Due: November 27, 2018
It's time to get those creative juices flowing and get involved in this year's PTSA Reflections Art Contest.
PTA Reflections is a national program that sparks students’ imagination, curiosity and participation in the arts. Reflections was developed in 1969 to encourage students to explore their talents and express themselves. That simplicity – of asking children to express themselves artistically based on a common theme – is the foundation of this long-standing program. The PTA Reflections Program has inspired millions of students to reflect on the current year’s theme. Each year, students in grades Pre-K through 12 are recognized for bringing that theme to life through dance choreography, film production, literature, music composition, photography and visual arts. Every student is recognized for their accomplishments with the opportunity for state and national awards and recognition.
This year’s theme, “Heroes Around Me,” calls for your own unique interpretation through the arts. Students can choose to participate in one (or more!) of six categories: Visual Arts, Photography, Literature, Music Composition, Film Production and Dance Choreography.
Download Student Participation Form
- Only new pieces of artwork inspired by the theme may be submitted
- Each entry must be the original work of one student only
- Entry must contain a completed student entry form with artwork title and artist statement
- Use of copyrighted material is prohibited, except for recorded music in dance choreography and film production entries when title, composer, and performer are cited in the submission
- PowerPoint presentations are prohibited
- Finalist Selection and Notification:
- Entries will be judged primarily on how well the student uses his or her artistic vision to portray the theme, originality, and creativity.
- Under no condition may parents or students contact the judges to dispute the status of any entry
- The PTA in its sole discretion will select finalists for exhibition and provide awards/prizes Ownership and License
- Ownership in any submission shall remain the property of the entrant, but entry into this program constitutes entrant’s irrevocable permission and consent that PTA may display, copy, reproduce, enhance, print, sublicense, publish, distribute, and create derivative works for PTA purposes. PTA is not responsible for lost or damaged entries. Submission of entry into the PTA Reflections Program constitutes acceptance of all rules and conditions
- Visual Arts: Works of both fine and design arts are accepted, including but not limited to: architectural drawing and models, ceramics, collage, computer generated images and graphics, crafts, drawing, fashion clothes and jewelry, fiber work, mixed media, painting, printmaking and sculpture.
- 2D WORKS: Mounted on sturdy material; No larger than 24x30 inches with matting; Framed entries are not accepted; Include one digital image of artwork with your submission.
- 3D WORKS: Include 3 digital images of artwork at different angles.
- Photography: Photo must be a single print/digital image. Collages and collections of photos are not accepted. Entrant must be the photographer and may use a variety of digital editing techniques including but not limited to, multiple exposure, negative sandwich and photogram.
- PRINT: Must be no smaller than 3x5 inches and no larger than 8x10 inches. Accepted print formats: Mounted on mat or poster board no larger than 11x14 inches. Framed prints are not accepted.
- DIGITAL IMAGE: Dimensions must be at least 640x960 (pixels) and 300 dpi (resolution). Accepted file formats: JPEG, JPG, GIF, PNG.
- Music Composition: All music styles and combinations of instrumentation are accepted. Entrant must be the composer and may also be the performer, or one of the performers. Use of copyrighted material is prohibited.
- AUDIO: File must not exceed 5 min. and 1 GB in size. Accepted formats: MP3, WMA, WAV, ACC, FLAC.
- NOTATION: Only required for middle and high school divisions. Score/tablature in PDF format.
- Literature: Accepted forms of fiction and nonfiction include: Prose, poetry, reflective essay, screen play and play script, narrative, and short story. Entrants may write in their primary language as long as an interpretive English translation is also attached. Use of copyrighted material is prohibited.
- Film Production: Accepted short film styles include: Animation, narrative, documentary, experimental or media presentation. Entrant must be the screenwriter, cinematographer, editor and producer. If background music is used, cite it on the entry form.
- Dance: Solo and ensemble works of all dance styles are accepted. Entrant must be the choreographer and may also be the performer, or one of the performers. If background music is used, cite it on the entry form.
- Video: File must not exceed 5 min. and 1 GB in size. Accepted formats: AVI, FLV, WMV, MOV, MP4.
If you would like more information please contact the Reflections Committee Program chair Betsy Chester.
A very special thank you to our wonderful Fine Arts Teachers at FSUS for assisting with this program. It couldn't happen without you!
Download the student packet or pick one up from one of the Art Teachers on campus. For more information download the overview presentation (pdf).