Words from a child to a parent or caregiver-
- If you allow me to dance, clap, jump or walk, I will know how music feels. It makes me happy to move.
- When I hum or sing while I play, I am content.
- When you sing, move or play with me, you let me know you love me. You are my favorite singer.
- Repeating my favorite songs is exciting to me.
- I will learn to sing someday.
- Just love me and watch me grow.
- If you sing songs with rhymes, you help me hear the rhythm of speech.
- If you put my name in a song, it makes me feel like you are singing directly to me and I am special to you.
- When I make up my own little song, I am learning to have creative expression of my voice.
- If you play games with animal and machine sounds with me, I will learn to use my voice and I will be interested in different qualities of sound.
- If we listen to silence together, I will learn that music is sound and silence.
I will turn off my ears to music if-
- You play music that is too grown up for me.
- You make me listen for too long.
- You play too much passive music.
- If you know a musician who plays, I would love to hear live music.
- Please give me happy and joyful musical experiences.
- Remember some lessons are caught rather than taught.
- When I see you enjoying the experience of music, I will learn to love it too.
Adapted by Connie Greenwood, 2021, from Move, Sing Listen, Play by Donna Wood